Thursday, November 1, 2007

Halloween! Oh cursed Day! :)



So, here I am, starting a blog, and I figure that Halloween would be a pretty good time to start since there will be photos to share. Yesterday was the cursed day. I say that because unfortunately for my kids sake, I am a halloween scrouge. I know, boo all you like, I just have a hard time getting into it. I think in the past (like when the twins were toddlers) Halloween was only good for me because it meant that Brett would take the kids out, while I stayed home and handed out candy (a quiete house was hard to come by in those days). But now it just seems like one more thing to stress me out. I know it is because school has kept me so busy, I wasn't able to help my kids with their costumes (they all got bottom of the barrel store bought ones, except Sadie who was thrilled to be a cheerleader in my old uniform). Cody got a ninja costume that didn't have mask or belt or sword, Jackson got to be Spiderman and Greg (as he is now being called) was a knight. The amazing thing was that they had a blast, despite mommy being embarrased at her ragamuffin kids, they thought it was so cool to be in a "store bought" costume. Isn't that funny. We moms are so worried that the other moms will look down on us because our kids aren't in one of a kind, made from scratch, homemade costume, that we actually think the kids are going to care! Anyway, the night went well. We went out to several friends who live out in the boonies and don't get any trick-or-treaters and are always thrilled to have us come. And then we crused around to our nieghbors that we know. All in all, we had a good time, the kids got a ton of candy (and as I am going to be a dental hygienist, I am like the toothbrushing natzi after they eat candy). I feel sorry for the teachers at the elementary school though. I was in volunteering today, and all the kids are just tired, and wiggly and none of them want to be at school.

3 comments:

Wild Horse Gang said...

Katherine,

I am a Halloween scrouge too! Wednesday night I was trying to make some crazy mummy costume for Thayne and Bruce. Then it was 10:00 and I just sent Thayne to bed without his done and we finished it Thursday morning. Then they wore them at school and all the material started to fall off of them anyway. (The school thing is the only reason that I had to "make" them anyway!) Thayne was so annoyed with his costume that he didn't even wear it trick or treating! He just wore his clothes and--believe it or not--people still gave him a ton of candy! So I'm still wondering what the point is for the costumes?! They all had a blast though.

Love the blog thing. It is kind of fun to read them and see pictures.

Melissa

Unknown said...

K, I don't know what planet YOU live on, honey - but nobody makes costumes anymore. We're all storebought losers now, silly. Oh wait - you live in Idaho... I bet people DO still make costumes there. ;-)

And - trust me - your kids look adorable whether in storebought or homemade.

p.s. don't you remember being a kid? Kids always prefer storebought stuff. clothes, breakfast cereal (vs. bread & milk in a bowl), class valentines...
Later gator -
heidi

Anonymous said...

I love seeing your pictures. Maybe someday I could learn how to sew costumes. Right now, we are using hand me down from cousins which is great.